THIS HACK MAY NOT BE OFFERED FOR DOWNLOAD ON OTHER WEBSITES BY OTHER INDIVIDUALS / BUSINESSES. By downloading you agree to the fore mentioned term.
METADATA HACK for VM(tested 1.1.4). If you want better seo value, and/or have lots of products, you will NEED THIS.
- This hack will auto-generate a better Title, Meta Description, Meta Keywords set, Meta Abstract, and Meta Subject, UNIQUE to each product and category. Likewise, you can now add the Meta Canonical Tag, unique to each product and category. Also supports adding tags like:
- Overwrite Joomla Meta Generator Tag
- Meta Classification
- Meta Author
- Meta Organization
- Meta Copyright
- Meta Country
- Meta Content-Language
- Meta Language
- Meta Designer
- Meta Comments
- Meta No-Email-Collection
- You can let it automatically run it's course and generate this info dynamically, or you can use the dynamic output to build a base then edit the output for each product and/or category.
- Instructions are included on the VM admin add/edit product page (first tab), or the add/edit category page (first tab).
- This is a hack, so you will need to modify or replace 6 files:
- You will need to run the metadata_hack.sql included as well. This adds:
- five new columns (fields) to jos_vm_product
- five new columns (fields) to jos_vm_category
- new table jos_vm_product_metakeys
- new table jos_vm_category_metakeys
Note: If you did not use the "jos" naming convention on your database, please update this before running the script.
- Comes with an sql to uninstall hack database changes. Comes with files to overwrite hack files should you want to remove.
NOW FOR THE BEEF BEHIND THE HACK:
A. If you have a store running and install this hack, you don't have to do a thing if you so wish. You will see the changes are instant on live site, and you will have, UNIQUE TO EACH PRODUCT AND CATEGORY, extremely relevant, accurate, complete, and better arranged TITLE, META DESCRIPTION, META KEYWORDS, META ABSTRACT, META SUBJECT.
B. There are two global settings groups. 1, global settings for products. 2, global settings for categories. You can access the global settings for each type respectively from any product or category VM admin add/edit page. Global settings include: Global appends to title, description and keywords; badwords; turn manual edit on/off; number of keywords to generate; etc.
C. If you want to get even more hands on then what the system does automatically, then you can turn on the global manual edit param, which allows you to view and edit the dynamically created tags individually, make global appends, etc. In other words, the system will generate a great base for you to work off of, rather than starting from scratch for each product/category. Most likely, you won't even need to use this feature. If you do, let me know what you needed it for so I can make it better.
D. The system comes with a word filter (like a bad word filter) so you can exclude words you know you do not want in your keywords (like, the, of, for, if). I have included a fairly extensive set already.
E. I won't get much more detailed here as to how the system generates the tags, but you can read more within each add/edit category/product page where my instructions reside. The system does use a systematic culmination of product name, category name, product short and full description, category description, parent category, child products, and whatever global or manual overrides you may make. Important to note: the more you have completed above listed fields, the better your auto- populate and append will perform.
Screenshot of admin panel metadata tab:
That's about it! FOR MORE INFORMATION OR ISSUES, PLEASE VISIT AND POST HERE: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=65697.0
Please take a minute post any feedback / reviews as well.
You may also be interested in FREE:
If you like or found useful, please donate at http://www.paypal.com/ to email@example.com